Sunday, June 29, 2008

Walk in the Woods Cabled Baby Blanket

Finished!

Pattern: Walk in the Woods Cabled Baby Blanket
My own design, available soon

Needles: U.S. size 8

Yarn: Berocco Comfort in 'baby boy' colors

This was a wonderful chance for me to design a special heirloom baby blanket for some good friends who were expecting. The cables came together easily enough, with only a couple of changes. I really had wanted to put a roman numeral IV (the baby is a 4th!) in the middle panel, but couldn't get it to work out without looking weird, so I nixed it. I'm thrilled with the final outcome and excited to have something tangible that I designed. Even better, the parents love it!
I wanted to use more geometrical cables, as opposed to overly swirly ones, for a more masculine look. The cables are all pretty straightforward, the most challenging one for me time-wise was the argyle center panel, since you are constantly crossing. I would say this is an intermediate pattern, though you could do it as an adventuresome beginner! Also a good travel project, since its knit up in strips, no heavy blanket on your lap the whole time.
Of course, my only hope as a knitter now is that this blanket will share in teddy bear picnics, sleepovers and some good old-fashioned tent making! Now, that's a good wish.








1 comment: