Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Just in Time for the HOT weather....




















I’ve finished the Ruffled Jacket!!

Pattern: Ruffled Jacket, from Vogue Knitting Fall 2007 – 25th Anniversary

Yarn: Colrain from Webs (http://www.yarn.com/) in colorway Grape Jelly

This was a really fun one for me. A year ago I doubt I would have thought I could not only change a patterns gauge, but re-calculate and fix the sleeve caps, which on this pattern are way too small. But I did it!

I didn’t want to make the pattern in the bulky yarn it calls for, since I don’t have many opportunities in NC to wear a thick sweater. My brother gave me a Webs GC for Christmas and the Colrain is what I bought, I’ve been dying to try this since I love tencel.
Colrain is a 50% merino 50% tencel blend, and it is lovely. It has a very soft hand and drapes beautifully. I will use this yarn again. My first ball had a few knots, but that was only a problem with that ball. I use 13 balls for this jacket. I also wanted to mention the yarn does bleed a good bit when washing, but comes nicely back to gauge.

One warning about this pattern…it will test your patience with seaming. There is A LOT of seaming. The little cable on the front is a strip that gets sewn on all the way around. I found it easier to knit a little, seam a little, knit a little, seam a little, until it was the perfect length. The gorgeous ruffle that for me ‘makes’ this jacket is knit in 4 separate pieces and then sewn on. I had to adjust the last ruffle to size, since I had a smaller space left than I was supposed to.

After those warnings, I highly recommend this for an adventurous knitter! It will teach you a lot, it did for me. The last shot is my sad attempt at posing like Vanna White. Hmm, I don’t think she’s in any danger of losing her job =;)
Then I got to go on a button hunt. I went to my local fabric shop, Waechter’s Silk Shop in Asheville, NC. The ladies there are wonderful and know I’m the ‘button girl’, since I rarely buy fabric anymore. The two I found are gorgeous; I think they are a carved bone or shell. I got to wear this a couple times in the last couple of weeks, and it’s very flattering and pretty.
I’ve also finished this lacy scarf for a friend out of Berocco Seduce. This stuff is amazing. The texture of it is fabulous, the silky smell, the colors it comes in, this is a winner in my book.
I used a miniature leaf pattern that I found on Purl Bee’s blog. This was a pretty mindless project after the first couple of repeats, and I love the finished project! It was very well received by my friend.
I'll put the pattern here for your convenience. It tooks me 2 skeins of Seduce to get a nice sized scarf, over 60"(forgot to measure after blocking!)


MINIATURE LEAF LACE PATTERN, VERSION 1:

Cast on a multiple of 6 stitches, plus 1.
(I cast on 25 sts., for about a 6” scarf when blocked, using size 7 needles.)
Row 1 and all odd numbered rows: Purl.

Row 2: K1, *k2tog, yo, k1, yo, ssk, k1; repeat from * to end of row.

Row 4: K2tog, *yo, k3, yo, slip 2 knitwise-k1-p2sso; repeat from *, end last repeat ssk instead of sl 2-k1-p2sso.

Row 6: K1, *yo, ssk, k1, k2tog, yo, k1; repeat from * to end of row.

Row 8: K2, *yo, slip 2 knitwise-k1-p2sso, yo, k3; repeat from *, end last repeat k2.
Repeat Rows 1-8.
Lastly, I wanted to give you some shots of how Beryl looks when worn. I’ve decided I really love this one now since I sewed up the buttonband. The pink is great and the yarn is super soft.


I'll leave you with a shot of the view from my friend Martha's house. Ahh, the joys of living in the mountains! Have a great week and be well.

2 comments:

sittin and knittin said...

Nice work on the purple sweater - looks lovely on you.

Alison said...

Beautiful sweater! And what a gorgeous view across the mountains. Thank you for that!

--AlisonH at spindyeknit.com